Dental Exams & Cleanings
At your initial visit, you will be welcomed to our practice and asked to fill out any initial paperwork that has not already been obtained online. You will then be seated by one of our assistants or hygienists for your initial comprehensive exam, which will consist of:
- Exam and any necessary x-rays: x-rays are essential in the diagnosis and treatment of cavities, periodontal (gum) disease, as well as examining wisdom teeth and ruling out the potential of oral cancers. We will also go over your medical history and address anything that may be affected by your oral health.
- Oral cancer screening: We will do a thorough examination of the gums, cheeks, lips, tongue, and any area that may be a site for oral cancers.
- Gum disease evaluation: We will measure and evaluate the gums and bone surrounding the teeth for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
- Examination of cavities: All teeth will be individually evaluated for active decay or signs of future decay.
- Examination of existing work: We will evaulate all existing fillings, crown, root canals, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings are performed by the Registered Dental Hygienists or your dentist. They are recommended every 6 months and include a comprehensive cleaning, flouride treatment if necessary, and thorough exam by the dentist
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a combination of bacteria, food debris and saliva that coats the teeth. It is a sticky material that may feel like a light film on the teeth after it has built up for a while. The bacteria on the teeth can produce toxins that causes the gums to swell and bleed more often. This is called gingivitis and is the start of periodontal disease.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus, known also as tartar, is when plaque has been on the teeth for an extended period of time and it calcifies and gets hard, which causes it to stick to the teeth. This buildup traps plaque and causes gum disease to get worse. Calculus can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Home Care
- Cleanings & Prevention
- Composite Fillings
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Exams & Cleanings
- Dental X-Rays
- Dentures & Partial Dentures
- Periodontal Disease
- Periodontal Disease - Diagnosis
- Periodontal Disease - Maintenance
- Periodontal Disease - Treatment
- Porcelain Crowns (Caps)
- Porcelain Fixed Bridges
- Porcelain Veneers
- Root Canal Therapy
- Tooth Whitening